Imagine walking into a jewelry store thinking you’ll just nip in for a nice chain and zip right back out. You approach the clerk on duty and say, “Hi! I need a necklace”. Then she goes, “Great! What style chain would you like?” You answer (dubiously) “A nice style” and she says, “Well, we have the box chain, the cable chain, the rope chain, the wheat chain and more”. You say, “I’ll go with the box chain”, but she’s not done.
She says, "Okay. What length would you like? 14 inches? 16 inches? 20 inches or 24?" You answer, "I’m not sure. I think 20-inches is fine". She answers, "Great! Now what type of metal would you prefer?" and you go wondering, "Metal?" She says, "Sure, metal. Would you prefer gold or sterling silver?" You say, "Uhm, gold?"
Then she goes, “Would you prefer the 14K gold or the 18K gold?” At this point, you are likely to throw your hands up and say, “What the heck?! I just want a necklace!”
You see, the point is choosing the right men’s necklace involves being familiar with a lot of details, details which most men incidentally aren’t familiar with. As a result, buying a necklace can quickly go from being an idyllic shopping experience to a confusing parade of technical jargon and dubious lingo.
If you’re not exactly certain how to go about buying a necklace, then we’ve written this guide specially for you. In this article, you’ll learn everything you need to know about the types of men’s necklaces in the market and how to pick the right one for you.
Types of necklaces
The presence of a necklace around your neck sends a message to people around you and those you come in contact with. The type of necklace you wear further refines the message, such that as soon as people see you, they form an opinion about you.
Therefore, before you pick a necklace, you should consider the story you want to tell. There are dog tags, chain necklaces, beaded necklaces, and leather necklaces. Each of these necklaces has a way of helping you tell your story. Therefore, decide on a story and pick a necklace that helps reinforce it.
In this article, we will focus on chain necklaces as most necklaces for men fall into this category. There are different types of chain necklaces and you are better served knowing the different types and what makes them unique.
- Cable Chain: It is made from connecting oval links and is the most popular type of chain necklace for men. It is a great option when you just want something from which to hang a favored pendant.
- Curb Chain: This type of necklace is made of links that interlock when they lay flat. It is a favored type of necklace for street and urban style. A popular variation of the curb chain necklace is the Cuban Curb Chain. We have Cuban Chains ranging from £18.99 to £99.99
- Marine Chain/Anchor Chain: This necklace is inspired by anchor chains used on ships. If you are a sea lover or have a sea story you want to immortalize, it is a great option for you. It is a cross between the cable chain and the curb chain as it connecting oval links and lies flat like the curb chain. Its differentiating factor is that each oval link has a horizontal bar across the middle.
- Figaro Chain: The Figaro Chain is a variation of the curb chain necklace and its pattern is usually of one large link followed by two to three shorter links. We have Figaro chains in gold and silver of width 3mm and 11mm ranging from £17.99 to £19.99.
- Rope Chain: The rope chain is made of chain links twisted together and it resembles a rope - thus, its name. It is another great option for use with a pendant as it is known for its strength. We have rope chains in gold and silver ranging from £17.99 to £19.99.
- Wheat Chain: A wheat chain necklace is made up of oval links plaited together in the same direction to look like tips of wheat stalks. It is also a great option for use with pendants.
- Ball Chain: The ball chain is made up of ball-shaped links connected with or without small breaks and is often used for dog tags and key-chains.
- Herringbone Chain: It is flat and has v-shaped links in alternating direction. It has the disadvantage of pulling and pinching the finer hairs on your neck and also kinks.
- Snake Chain: It is a variation of the herringbone and is made from tightly connected plates or bands that resemble snakeskin. They are great with pendants, but you should know that they are delicate and will kink easily.
Buy men's necklace: things to consider
The length and width of the necklace
This is dependent on the style you are going for. Chains come in lengths ranging from sixteen inches to thirty inches and widths ranging from 1.5mm to 13mm. For a visual explanation of the length and width, check out our sizing chart.
What type of metal is it?
Chains are made with different karats such as 10K, 14K, 18K, and 14K XI®. 14K is the most common type of gold in the United States. However, at Twisted Pendant, our chains are made of 188K gold/silver with 316L stainless steel. This combination ensures that you have a classy, unique, and timeless piece that is guaranteed to never fade.
Here’s a quick tip to note: jewelry will usually have a stamp on it. The stamp will tell you how many karats the chain is made with. It will say 10K (or 417), 14K (585), 18K (or 750), or 925 for SS (sterling silver).
Clasp, clasp, clasp
There are different clasps available. They are:
- Spring Ring: It operates with a spring mechanism. You just pull back on the small lever and slide the ring of the other side of the necklace into it and release the lever to close. It not a very reliable closure as it is not soldered onto the chain and if the chain is tugged upon, it might open. Thus, there is the risk of losing your chain.
- Lobster Claw: It is spring-loaded and opens and closes easily with one hand. You just push down on the with your thumb to open and release it to close. It is a great option for you if you dress alone.
- Barrel: It is made up of two metal pieces screwed together to form a barrel shape.
- Magnetic clasp: It is composed of two magnets that join together. While it is very easy to use, it is not secure.
- Fish Hook clasp: It is made up of a metal hook that is fastened inside a ring on the other end of the necklace.
Other questions to ask are:
- Whether the chain will irritate your skin if you have sensitive skin
- Whether you can keep your chain on all the time - even in the shower or to sleep
- Will it snag on your clothing?
With our jewelry, you do not need to concern yourself with worries such as these. Our pieces are designed to stay with you for a very long time. Check out our store or visit our Instagram page to keep up with the latest trends in fashion and of course be in the know when we stock the latest fashion pieces.